Saturday, January 29, 2011

quiz 2 question 2


After discussing Butler's reading of "Imitation and Gender Insubordination," I understand it much better and appreciate it more. I wish our culture practiced more gender insubordination and the ads I put in my previous blog weren't the only few, narrow options of femininity. Because of Butler's discussion of homosexuals, it made me really think of their prevalence in our culture, which is hardly at all, except as some comical relief (like the gay tough guy in the elevator in the French Axe commercial). This comic relief is also pictured here left. These commercials and ads really play the "role" of gay or lesbian, usually in an extremely exaggerated form.

I found it really interesting how she described gender as a performance. We really aren't born a "man" or "woman," we are trained to become that way and act as that role. Especially when I think of the Herbal Essences ad I posted, I think of how that model is just performing the sexuality she is "supposed" to embrace. I wish we could as an experiment raise a boy and girl in an environment closed off from our gendered culture and see what happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment